Served as Commissioner of Municipal Corporation of Chennai for three and half years which was the second longest serving term then for any Commissioner in 300 years of Chennai Municipal Corporation’s History.
The results in the Family welfare department after he took is in the table below.
Other achievements include
• During 2005-06 he introduced cervical cancer screening using VIA +ve method on a community based approach which was first of its kind for any public organisation.
• Introduced the Birth Companion Scheme (permitting an elderly relative woman to be present by the side of the mother during labour) which was again first of its kind for any public institution. Both schemes have become models and subsequently state government has introduced them in state government hospitals
• Introduced ‘door to door’ collection of garbage covering entire Chennai city,
• Created New parks and refurbished all old Parks .
• Kept the city free from stray cattle menace by confiscating 2500 stray cattle.
• He also successfully implemented the ABC Programme (Animal Birth Control) and kept the city free from stray dog menace.
• Chennai Corporation collected highest ever taxes and incurred highest ever capital expenditure during his tenure.
He facilitated the conception and implementation of Activity Based Learning (ABL) in 264 schools in the Chennai Municipal Corporation (Video link)
Between 2006 to July, 2008 : (until the date of Superannuation from Government service) he served as State Project Director, SSA, Tamil Nadu. During this period he scaled ABL to the entire state covering 37486 schools.